CATHOLIC NEWS OF THE WEEK . Saturday, 20 October 2018

Print Version    Email to Friend
Philippine bishops back migrant rights deal with Kuwait

Manila (UCAN): The Philippine bishops’ Commission for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant People is pressing the county’s government to ensure that a deal about to be struck with Kuwait guaranteeing protection for Filipino workers, most of whom are domestic helpers, is adhered to.
 
Bishop Ruperto Santos of Balanga, head of the commission, said the government should see to it that the provisions in the proposed deal are implemented.
 
“Once signed, we appeal that our government officials monitor that (the agreement) is strictly followed,” said the prelate, adding that Church leaders support the deal proposals because “they are beneficial” to Filipino workers.
 
On March 16, Philippine and Kuwaiti officials approved the final draft of a memorandum of understanding but Philippine president, Rodrigo Duterte, wanted to add more provisions.
 
“I demanded that it will be a contract of government to government and that there will be some mandatory provisions, like they should be allowed to sleep at least seven hours a day,” the president said.
 
Aside from provisions on sleeping hours, Duterte also wanted Filipino workers to be served “nutritious food” and be allowed a weekly break and days off during holidays. He said employers should also not seize and withhold workers’ passports.
 
“I said, if this does not push through ... then you’ll just have to forgive me. There will be no lifting of the ban,” the president said on March 21.
 
Duterte recently ordered a total ban on the deployment of Filipino workers to Kuwait following the discovery in February of the body of a missing domestic worker.
 
Earlier in January, the Philippines suspended deployment of workers to the Gulf state after seven Filipino domestic workers were reported to have died after allegedly suffering abuse at the hands of employers.
 
Prior to the ban, Kuwait was a top destination for Filipino workers, with about 250,000 working there.
 
Bishop Santos said the bishops particularly support the provision allowing Filipino workers to keep their passports.
 
“It is just fair and legal that our (migrant workers) keep their passports, to have and use cellphones, and enjoy days off,” the bishop said.
 
He said Church leaders also support the part of the proposed deal that does not allow employers change contracts once the migrant workers reach their destination. 
 
Philippine labour secretary, Silvestre Bello, said the agreement is to be signed by Philippine and Kuwaiti officials in April. 
 
From January to November last year, remittances from Kuwait amounted to $5.76 billion, according to data from the Central Bank of the Philippines.

More from this section