CATHOLIC NEWS OF THE WEEK . Saturday, 11 August 2018

Print Version    Email to Friend
St. Paul’s Hospital celebrates 120 years of service

HONG KONG (SE): The Sisters of St. Paul de Chartres celebrated the 120th anniversary of the establishment of St. Paul’s Hospital at a Mass concelebrated by Bishop Michael Yeung Ming-cheung, Joseph Cardinal Zen Ze-kiun and John Cardinal Tong Hon at the adjacent Christ the King Chapel, Causeway Bay, on April 21.
 
St. Paul sisters from different regions were in attendance.
 
A ceremony marking the anniversary, as well as the openaing of the newly redeveloped main building, was held on April 23 and was officiated by Bishop Yeung, together with the secretary for Food and Health, Professor Sophia Chan Siu-chee.  
 
During the opening ceremony, Bishop Yeung honoured the contributions of the hospital and presented a papal blessing parchment to the St. Paul sisters. 
 
In her message, Sister Joanna Marie Cheung Yuet-ngor, provincial superior of Hong Kong and Taiwan region and chairperson of the governing committee of the hospital, recalled the milestones of the hospital. She expressed her appreciation of the co-workers at St. Paul’s Hospital and St. Teresa’s Hospital who have showed professionalism as well as medical ethics while in the performance of their duties throughout the years.
 
Doctor William Ho Siu-wei, the medical superintendent of St. Paul’s Hospital, said the newly-redeveloped main building—Block B—is four times bigger than the old Block A and its completion was a milestone in the history of the hospital. He added that the hospital has been introducing advanced technologies in the medical field to Hong Kong, such as the superconductor magnetic resonance imaging system set up in 1989. 
 
Sister Nancy Cheung Chu-kin, managing director of the hospital, encouraged co-workers to follow the example of St. Paul, their patron saint, who carried out his mission in making the love of God present to all. 
 
Sisters of St. Paul de Chartres arrived in Hong Kong in 1848 and set up an orphanage in Wanchai to care for abandoned baby girls. A hospital was set up in Wanchai in 1898 to provide medical services for the poor. The undertaking to move the hospital to Causeway Bay started in 1916. It was officially named St. Paul’s Hospital in 1918.
 
The redevelopment of Block B began in 2010. It is 24 storeys high and has three basement levels for a total area of more than 46,000 square metres. The new building commenced operations on 15 April 2017. 
 
At present, all inpatient wards have been moved to the new building, while there is a department providing specialist outpatient services and 24-hour general outpatient services ensuring that people receive timely treatment. 

More from this section