Print Version    Email to Friend
We will not be silent for silence belongs to the culprits

HONG KONG (SE): Around 900 people came together for a prayer service on the evening of June 4 at the music kiosk of Victoria Park to remember of the victims in the Tiananmen Square Massacre in Beijing nearly three decades ago and to pray for a peaceful vindication.
 
Joseph Cardinal Zen Ze-kiun, the former bishop of Hong Kong, said people gathered not only to mourn the martyrs killed 29 years ago, but also to pray for those whose religious freedom is being suppressed in China at present. 
 

More from this section






Print Version    Email to Friend
Bloggers disappear ahead of Tiananamen anniversary

HONG KONG (UCAN): In the run-up to the 29th anniversary of the Tiannamen Square Massacre on June 4, several Chinese bloggers went missing, or were compelled to take a government arranged holiday.
 
According to a June 4 press release from Reporters Without Borders, Chinese authorities arranged for certain bloggers to take vacations under police escort before this year’s anniversary.
 

More from this section






Print Version    Email to Friend
Clashes as church land is sold off by government

Hong Kong (UCAN): An 800 square metre plot of disputed land next to the Immaculate Conception Church in Hangzhou in Zhejiang province, China, was sold at auction for commercial use by government authorities on May 28, following clashes between Catholics and security officials.
 
The day before the auction, dozens of security guards, police and public security officers clashed with Catholics on the site, a source reported. 
 

More from this section






Print Version    Email to Friend
Chengde bishop launches massive expensive complex

HONG KONG (UCAN): The illicitly ordained Bishop Joseph Guo Jincai of Chengde, has taken charge of what is claimed to be the biggest cathedral in northern China, which is part of a 70 million yuan (86.2 million) complex that also includes a convent and a residence.
 
Construction of the 15,000-square-metre complex was mostly paid for by the Hebei Provincial Chinese Catholic Patriotic Association and the Hebei Catholic Administration Commission. Less than half of the amount was collected by Bishop Guo, an unnamed source said 
 

More from this section






Print Version    Email to Friend
Statue of saint taken down in Hebei

HONG KONG (UCAN): A statue St. John Wu Wenyin, a martyr, was removed from a Catholic church in Hebei province as Chinese authorities continued their clampdown on religious freedom.
 
The statue of St. John Wu Wenyin was unveiled at Dongertou Catholic Church, Yongnian parish, Handan Diocese, on May 3, but a source said that authorities asked the church to remove it after the ceremony “stirring up a commotion on the internet.”
 

More from this section






Print Version    Email to Friend
Praying for the Church in China without missing the point

Michel Chambon
 
May 24 has since 2007 been a day of prayer for the Catholic Church in China. At that time, Pope Benedict invited all Catholics, especially Chinese Catholics, to embrace the special day by renewing their faith in Jesus and striving for unity.
 
Echoing this, Pope Francis has encouraged prayers asking that Chinese Catholics make concrete gestures of “fraternity, harmony and reconciliation.”
 








Print Version    Email to Friend
Reports on Marian pilgrimages banned

HONG KONG (UCAN): The Hebei-based Faith Weekly, has been ordered not to report any news about Marian pilgrimages in May across the China. This has raised concerns that Hebei will join Henan as the targets of the Communist Party’s recent religious crackdown.
 
Webmasters in other dioceses said that they had submitted articles on local or inter-provincial pilgrimages to Faith Weekly but none had been published.
 

More from this section






Print Version    Email to Friend
Easter baptisms in China

Young Chinese Catholics, newly baptised at Easter, explained that their faith in God changed their lives and their conversions impelled them to learn more about him and share this experience with others in their atheist and materialist societies. 
 








Print Version    Email to Friend
Dialogue with China: There is no magic wand

Hong Kong (SE): In early May, the Vatican News website began publishing a series of articles to give insights on the criteria and reasons guiding the Holy See in its contacts with the Chinese government. The first of these, a two-part commentary is written by Sergio Centofanti and Jesuit Father Bernd Hagenkord.

More from this section






Print Version    Email to Friend
Systematic and planned suppression in Henan

HONG KONG (UCAN): The recent crackdown on various Catholic and Protestant communities was the result of more than two years of organisation and preparation at provincial, city and county level through the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) increasingly powerful United Front Work Department, according to Ying Fuk-tsang, a professor and director of the divinity school at Chung Chi College, at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
 

More from this section